...a membership to a gym
There are plenty of fitness facilities to choose from-the open 24 hours/7 days a week gyms; YMCAs; Park Districts; big chains; privately owned; and on and on.
Here are some factors to consider when looking for a gym-and remember, gift giving is all about what the recipient would like, and not necessarily what you would choose. Unless...you plan to workout together!! What a novel idea :)
- Convenience: This is key. Choosing a location close to home or work will increase the chancethat the membership will actually be used :) If the gym is not going to be the last stop of the day make sure showers and/or changing rooms are available!
- Childcare: if the only way to workout is going to be by bringing those little kiddies with, then it only makes sense to join a place with childcare or childrens' programming
- Classes: Does the facility offer classes? Many people could care less about taking group exercise classes, but for another group of people the idea of having to be there for a start time is a huge motivator. Also, the social aspect is appealing to those people who like to make friends!
- Cost: this goes without saying. Staying in within your budget is smart, but if the recipient chooses to continue after the "gift" is finished, can they afford it? Or....you could always offer to keep paying the fees :)
- Choices: Is there a variety of equipment? Do they offer personal training? Are there different types of equipment available?
My final thoughts on purchasing a gym membership as a gift, or whenever you might be shopping for a workout place. The majority of fitness facilities offer a "try me" period of 1-7 days. Great way to do test drive before you buy :)
Also, if the gift recipient is new to exercise, unfamiliar with gyms, or just plain intimidated, find out if there is some type of orientation or introduction to help get them started.
Gyms a practically a necessity when you live in the Midwest! Sometimes it's just too cold, snowy or rainy to workout outside.
Just a few more days til Christmas!! Still looking for the perfect gift?! Tune in tomorrow!